Distracted driving is a serious issue that every driver and vehicle owner should keep in mind. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving is any form of activity that diverts the attention of drivers from driving. Instead of paying close attention to the road, the driver completes performs another task while the vehicle is moving. And it’s not just due to smartphones. There are a number of interruptions and distractions that can happen to the driver and it just a split-second, it can compromise the safety of the driver, the passengers, and even the others who are on the road. Here’s a quick look at the common distractions that drivers often face (and do) on the road.
- Smoking while driving. There are some drivers who can’t resist to smoke while driving. It’s dangerous, and we not just talking about the harmful chemicals that are found in the cigarettes. By simply taking a cigarette and lighting it, you are actually taking your eyes away from the road for a few seconds which can create accidents.
- Adjusting controls. Accidents can also happen when drivers decide to adjust the controls of their air conditioning, the radio, or heat vent. You may want to stream in your favorite songs or adjust the temperature but be sure that you are careful. If possible, pull over to the side of the road before adjusting the controls.
- Roaming pets. Let’s admit it, dogs and cats are adorable. And when we see them on the road, we can’t help but appreciate their cuteness. And because of the attention that we give on these pets, we end up losing our concentration.
- Eating and drinking while driving. During long drives, an empty stomach can become a problem. The solution for many drivers is to pack chips, sandwiches, and drinks in a can which they can eat and drink while driving. Opening chips, dipping fries on ketchup, or grabbing a bite can also ruin your concentration on the road. If you really want to eat, you can pull over and enjoy the food.
- Using digital equipment. Aside from smartphones, there are other devices that can take the driver’s attention off the road. For example, fiddling with the GPS device can become a problem or adjusting the recorder while driving.
There are some devices or digital equipment that can work when driving like reversing camera monitors since they are automatically activated when reversing or parking. There’s no need to configure or activate these, thus your concentration is still on the road.
If you want to put an end to distracted driving then you should make sure that all these distractions are avoided at all costs. Focus on the road. The main objective in driving is not just to get to your destination, but making sure that you arrive at the destination safe and sound.