Reversing is not done quite often by most people because they do not know how to do it properly. It will surprise you to learn that the most common cause of damage to man vehicles especially in company fleets is from reversing.
Luckily, a reversing crash is usually at a low speed with relatively low costs to cater for. These types of crashes can be avoided by considering vital details before reversing and investing in rear view cameras.
Vital details to consider when reversing
- Always ask yourself if it is necessary and safe to reverse.
- Avoid reversing over a long distance, simply turn around and drive the right way.
- When reversing, you have no right of way, you have to give way to the oncoming cars until you have a clear road.
- Reverse slowly to avoid crashing into a blind spot. Rear view cameras will come in handy at this point because instead of using head checks and mirrors that give inaccurate results, simply use your review camera to view the rear side.
- With the rear view cameras, you will not need anyone to direct you or to do any head checks for you, you will simply view the back side at the screen mounted on your dashboard for a clear view.
- Do not reverse in parks because small children or pedestrians are likely to be walking or strolling absentmindedly around the park. The risk of running on them is high and should be diminished by using the reverse cameras as well as eliminating reversing at the park.
- Do not reverse on the highway because this might cause a bad accident from oncoming vehicles that may be traveling at very high speeds.
· Always reverse when it is needful if there is a way to avoid it, evade it by all means.